Tuesday, September 28, 2010

House hunting is OVER!

Yep, we found a house. The shortage of housing here is unbelievable so the fact that we found one is great, let alone one that we are really excited about. All of the other teachers we arrived with have already found a house, so we were beginning to feel a bit left behind. Last Sunday, we were on a drive and noticed the Japanese housing agency that had already shown us a few houses was open. We decided to stop in and use our best Charades to ask if there was a "clean house" available. First they showed us an apartment that was nice, but too small for even our bed. Then, when they were about to turn us away empty-handed, a lady from the back of the office came out with the floor plans of a NEW 3 bedroom house right next to the Kintai bridge! It sounded too good to be true at first and I tried not to get my hopes up. We went to see it the next day and it was everything we hoped. The only downside is that we won't be able to move in until December when it will be finished. The lot is really neat. It is within walking distance of a a bunch of Iwakuni's tourists attractions: the Iwakuni castle, Kintai bridge, and the beautiful park where they supposedly have a lot of their festivals and such. Gggrrr..I wish I could post pictures! (The problem is I don't have a card reader or USB cable to download the pics onto our laptop.)

Today's Firsts:

Japanese Language Class. Tonight was our first Japanese language class at the city hall. A bunch of people from the base were there. The teacher started off by listing the differences between Japanese and English, some of which were a pleasant surprise: no plurals! no silent letters! vowels only have ONE sound! no articles (the, a..)! My spirits weren't as good when he started talking about the three types of symbols they use to write and ONE of those types has over 3000 symbols we should memorize. SWEET! The resounding anthem for the class was "Not now... we will learn that next week." By the sounds of it, we will be learning a LOT next week.

Days in Japan: 38
Days I've approached the driver's side door thinking it was the passenger side door: 38

3 comments:

  1. You're freaking hilarious, Tess! Keep posting,k??

    ReplyDelete
  2. approaching the drivers side door!.. hA>..
    So one day after dropping Emma off at school .. I turned around and got in the car to drive away.. shut the door and everything and then realized.. crap I got in on the wrong side! Quickly I got out and hoped nobody saw me and got in on the right side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read these comments ladies- sorry! I didn't even know to check these. I am such a blogging amateur! I will try to keep up as much as possible. Matt is using the computer a lot for online classes, but I will try to keep it coming. Megan, that is so funny!

    ReplyDelete