Monday, February 21, 2011

What a day!

Today was President's day so we had it off from school. Sweet! We never got President's day off in the states. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. We've been having freezing cold temperatures for months now, so it was greatly appreciated. I decided to go for a run around Kikko park, which is the park that surrounds our neighborhood. I LOVE this park. The whole reason we fought to get our specific house was so that we could live in this area. Most of Iwakuni is pretty industrial looking, so I can see why areas like this park are so frequently visited. From what I am told, it is even more beautiful during Cherry Blossom season (March/April), and as a result, PACKED. Another reason I'm glad we live within walking distance.

Anyway, I took a run through the park and the surrounding neighborhoods and found myself meandering up one of the trails that heads up the mountain to the Iwakuni Castle. The castle is visible from many places throughout Iwakuni, especially at night when it is lit up. It is definitely a must-see of Iwakuni. The trails are pretty steep, but when I saw the grandmas and grandpas coming down with smiles on their faces, bounces in their steps and cheerful "Konnichiwas" for me, I lost all self-pity. Don't get me started on how much I admire the elderly around here... When I got to the top, I sat on one of the benches in the amphitheater. Sitting there stretching without another person in sight, soaking in the sun and the panoramic views, feeling alive and well, I realized this was one of those HAPPY moments. When I felt like it couldn't get anymore serene, I heard this sweet little melody, which sounded like flute music. Seriously? Am I imagining this? Nope. Later, I found it was coming from the clock chimes near the gondola. I wish I was more eloquent and poetic in my writing so I could remember it more vividly later on, but I guess this description will have to suffice.

I found a different trail I hadn't been on yet and took it back down to the park. When I got home and showered, I got a phone call from my friend and neighbor Tomoko. She invited me over for dinner and Family Home Evening (a.k.a. One night every week, usually Mondays, for Mormons to spend together as a family having fun and teaching a brief spiritual lesson). Best of all, they made (Be prepared, I'm going to butcher this) Okonomoyaki, which are Japanese "pancakes" made on a griddle with cabbage, egg, bacon, usually seafood, batter and then topped with a barbecue-like sauce, mayo, seaweed shreddings, and fish shreddings. Okay, after typing that description I realize it SOUNDS disgusting, but trust me that it is NOT. We've eaten it at restaurants several times, but this was the first time I'd had it home-made, which was way better. For dessert, we had these black sweet soy beans and glazed sweet potato, both of which I devoured. They were so good! Tomoko sent me home with some and promised me the next time she goes shopping she will take me with her so I can pick out a few of my new favorites.

The company was equally as good. I've been to Tomoko's house before, but her husband has always been gone since he is studying at a Hiroshima University to become a pharmacist. But, tonight he was there and it was great talking to him and learning even more about their family, culture and more. It was really interesting to hear them describe their countries economic woes and how similar their situation was and is to ours in the states. They have two young boys. Masaki is 4 and Kazuki is 2. No kidding, they are THE cutest boys I've seen since I got here. I can't stand that I can't talk to them, so I make every effort to use the 50 or so Japanese words I know when I am there. Tomoko and her husband both speak English pretty well, although they always keep their digital translator within reach. I tell them to mix some Japanese in there too. I need IMMERSION.

A great day. Counting my blessings...

No comments:

Post a Comment